Friday, November 6, 2009

What are YOU eating for dinner?

I posted this recipe once before, but I was making it today and thought I’d share again.  It’s one of my favorite dishes.  YUM! I highly recommend trying it out.  I didn’t know I’d like curry!

curriedcarrot

Curried Carrot Soup

1 lg onion, chopped

4 tbsp sesame oil (very important for flavor!)

4-4 1/2 c. vegetable broth

4-5 med carrots, grated (1 3/4 c.)

1 1/2 tsp curry powder

1 tsp dried thyme

1 bay leaf

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed

1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt

1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes WITH mild green chilies

dash cayenne pepper (to taste)

sour cream (garnish)

In large saucepan, saute onion in oil. Stir in the broth, carrots, curry, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Discard bay leaf and add tomatoes. Cool slightly. Transfer half of soup to blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Pour into soup pot or dutch oven. Repeat with remaining soup and add cream cheese. Combine with soup in pot. Heat through. Stir in salt and cayenne pepper. Serve with dollop of sour cream, garnish with chives or minced parsley.

4 comments:

The (Un)Experienced Mom said...

My husband is from England and loves curry, so I'll have to write this one down.

Tamara
www.theunexperiencedmom.com

Jean Stockdale said...

That sounds so good. I think I would love that. I will have to try it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on our Baby Grand, the Lion King. He was so darling as the King of the Jungle. Stop by again some time Blessings.

Mrs4444 said...

Mouthwatering...

mub said...

I love carrot soup, I really ought to make myself some! I usually use sour cream instead of cream cheese though so I'm going to give this a try =)