Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Totally Talented & Tempt My Tummy - Piper & More Soup



For Totally Talented Tuesday I must nominate PM. She did something last night that I found totally awesome. She got undressed. OK, I know for all you moms of 2 1/2 year olds this is no big deal, in fact you've probably been trying to keep them from continuing to do it. The thing is, as most of you know, PM has hemiplegic CP. Her right side doesn't work very well for her. The fact that she managed not only to unzip and strip, but to unfasten a diaper was WAY cool. We have been working for quite some time on the dressing and undressing. She still can't push her right arm through a long sleeve or coat without major assistance. So I say GO GIRL!! Way to take your clothes off! You can guarantee that I WILL NOT be saying that to you later in life. I hope.... Check out more great talent at Two of a Kind, Working on a Full House.

on to Yummier things...

Blessed with Grace

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
This recipe came direct from an Indian cuisine kitchen, I call it my husband's, but I made it myself last week and it is soooooo gooood. It's more involved than most of the recipes I like, but well worth it:

Curried Carrot Soup

1 lg onion, chopped
4 tbsp sesame oil (very important for flavor!)
4-4 1/2 c. vegetable broth
4-5 med carrots, grated (1 3/4 c.)
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes WITH mild green chilies
dash cayenne pepper (to taste)
sour cream (garnish)


In large saucepan, saute onion in oil. Stir in the broth, carrots, curry, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Discard bay leaf and add tomatoes. Cool slightly. Transfer half of soup to blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Pour into soup pot or dutch oven. Repeat with remaining soup and add cream cheese. Combine with soup in pot. Heat through. Stir in salt and cayenne pepper. Serve with dollop of sour cream, garnish with chives or minced parsley.

YUM!

There are lots more tasty recipes at Blessed With Grace!

8 comments:

Dee said...

YAY! That is sooo exciting! GO PIPER!!! Thanks for playing along! :)

Abby said...

That is a great skill and a big accomplishment for her! WTG Piper! And the soup sounds yummy!

Unknown said...

Hey I found my way on over here!! Way to go Piper!! Sounds awesome....!

And I'm following you on Twitter - I just started - I need all the help I can get.

:-)

Unknown said...

Piper is the cutest little thing in America. I love that name! Gorgeous! The soup sounds yummy!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thanks for the recipe. My husband loves curry.

Jennifer said...

Awesome photo and talent! Great recipe as well.

Ellen Seidman said...

That is an amazing, very important skill. I am so happy for both of you! We are working on potty-training Max, and one big challenge for him is he doesn't have the hand-coordination to pull down his pants. I pray that comes along. It doesn't help that he's obsessed with wearing jeans, even with elastic waists they're still harder to pull off than sweats.

Barbara said...

Well done Piper!! That is a fantastic skill to develop and to achieve it at 2.5 is great. We're working on taking the coat off for Bennett. He's pretty good at pushing his right arm into shirts but the coat is more difficult.