Monday, November 2, 2009

Babyland Diaper Review

I want to start out by saying that this is an unsolicited review.  I purchased these diapers with my own money and am not being compensated in any way.

My little guy is getting bigger, so some of the cloth diapers I had in our stash are getting a little too short.  I headed back to e-bay to seek out my next purchase.  I was really pleased with the Rainbow BB cloth diapers I got earlier this summer, so I thought I’d look for the same or similar products.  There are so many off brands out there at such low prices I always wonder what quality I’m getting.  A few months back I purchased a Fuzzi Bunz second that I have really love.  Mostly, I wanted it to compare to the ones I bought on e-bay since they are similar styles.  While searching for the next great deal, I came across Babyland diapers.  I mentioned them before, but I think I may have misspoke.  The older photos in the Babyland listings made the diapers look cheap, but the newer updated photos really changed my mind.  I ordered a set of 8 pocket diapers…mostly because of the cute prints.  Here’s what I got:

IMG_5700 Diaper Style: Pocket.  I wanted to compare them to my Rainbow BB diapers.  They are very similar in style. Fleece inners with a pocket for inserts.  The elastic that I had problems with in the Rainbow BB appears to be better quality in the Babyland diaper, but time will tell!! The PUL of the new diaper is nice quality and the print fabric feels very soft, almost like flannel.  I think it will wear very comfortably!!

IMG_5701

The Interior: The Babyland fleece insides are plushy and soft and would rival a Fuzzi Bunz any day!! I was really surprised and happy with the quality of the interior lining!!  From the picture, there’s a huge difference between the Rainbow BB and Babyland fleece, but keep in mind we’ve used the Rainbow BB all summer.  That being said, I think the Babyland fleece is nicer than the other was to start!  I still don’t have any stains in the diapers I have.

IMG_5702crop The pockets for both are very similar and I’ve been very happy with the Rainbow BB through out the summer.  I’ve had almost no “blow-outs” and the absorbency of the inserts are fantastic.  I usually double the inserts, and add a third for nap time.  Yes, unlike some hard-core cloth diaper-ers, I do not have the time to change my kiddo every 90 minutes!!!  The inserts do the trick and my guy has had no diaper rash that was cloth diaper-related (only diet related!).

IMG_5703

Fit: These will easily fit my 14-month-old in rise and waist.  Like the Rainbow BB diapers, the Babyland diapers offer rise adjustments with two sets of snaps down the front.  UNLIKE the Rainbow BB diapers, I actually believe these would fit a average/large newborn!  The elastic is more snug in both the leg and waist, BUT the selling point is that the front snaps have the ability to overlap for a good fit at the waist.

IMG_5704IMG_5705

Look: These particular diapers were also sold in two prints, so I got ONE of the other just to see how they looked.  Both are soft and comfy, not to mention cute! At the time there were only these two prints available, but I think right after I purchased, they started offering more! Figures!  Babyland diapers are also available in a standard fare of solid colors as well, and at a slightly lower price than the prints.

IMG_5707 To Review:

Good: Price first and foremost, fit, adjustable snaps, fabric, PUL, insert absorbency

Not So Good: to get a good price they only came with one insert, you definitely need more inserts than one, possibly the elastic (we’ll see, I’ve had problems with other brands, but its and easy fix)

I would definitely recommend these diapers if you are looking for an inexpensive alternative to the name brands that are out there.  Please feel free to ask me about anything I haven’t covered, and leave your comments! I’d love to hear what you think!!!

19 comments:

Alexandra said...

Thank you very much for your review, it's going to be a great help!

Anyway, can you provide a link? I've searched E-bay and I couldn't find any auction with these prints...

Rebecca said...

Wow - I had no idea cloth diapers could be so cute (don't have kids) - and there aren't pins needed it appears (from what I remember of mom using them w/ my brother)...hmmm, very interesting indeed :).

Stopping by as I try to visit all of the SSS participants :).

Mel Fraase said...

Alexandra- here's one listing, they expire eventually:

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Babyland-One-Size-Cloth-Diapers-8-Inserts-2-patterns_W0QQitemZ330371513437QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cebad3c5d

happy hunting!

Alexandra said...

Thanks a lot, Mel!
Don´t understand why I couldn´t find them in the first place though...

The only "downside" is that you have to buy 8 of them at a time...
I'm starting CDing, so I wanted to try a few different ones to decide which ones work best for us...
Oh, just received my first Nubunz today!

Love you blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was wondering what the snaps were made of... Metal or plastic?? Such great prices it's hard to pass up!! Thanks

Anonymous said...

I ended up getting some!! I ordered all boy colors.. Basically the diapers were not cut with the same outline or whatknot.. The red ones are the biggest. And fit my 2 1/2 year old girl perfect with some room. Green and orange are the same but, the blue are at least 3/4 inch smaller all the way around. So I am thinking they will fit my newborn when he arrives in Jan:) The elastic in the prints look like they were sewn with better care.. Hope this helps some:)

Anonymous said...

Hi. I've discovered your blog through google when looking for reviews on babyland diapers. We are expecting our first baby in July. We are looking for the easiest money saving option. I have purchased a boat load of cloth diapers, but it's really hard to find diaper covers here. These look like a steal of a deal. I've seen a lot of negative reviews on the internet, but after reading your blog I want to give it a shot. After a few months of using Babyland diapers, would you still recommend them? Please be honest. I want to purchase at least 30 diaper covers, but I'm afraid to at the same time. Please give me your input. Thank you.

Janelle

Kerry said...

Hello! I was also searching for babyland diaper reviews and came across your blog. I see it's been a little while since you've posted this. After more use and some time, would you still recommend the babyland diapers? I really appreciate your input!! Thanks!

Kerry

Michaela said...

I also am wondering how the Babyland diapers are holding up...do you think they are the kind of diapers that could last through a FEW babies/tots? Please let me know; I hate to invest in a less expensive brand if they won't stand the test of time. Thanks for the review!!

Anonymous said...

I love my babyland diapers. I cloth diaper two children with 19 of these and prefolds and some bambino mio covers. They work wonderful no leaks it's great. Inexpensive alternative to all the name brand diapers that work fabulous!I have been using babyland diapers for almost a year now and they have up wonderful I might add.

Unknown said...

I have been using Babayland diapers for almost a year and they are one of my favorites. They fit well and they have a nice opening that can accommodate multiple inserts for night time use. They are one of my go to diapers. I have never had a problem with the PUL or elastic. I find the elastic to be perfect, never leaving red marks. I wash them on hot and line dry. They fit my 3.5 year old and my chunky 1.5 year old. I would highly recommend them. I would say they are definitely worth the money. Papoose is the same manufacturer. I have tried Kawaii, Sunbaby, Bumgenius 3.0, alva baby and happy flute. My advise is to have good inserts or multiple inserts. If your diapers leak, strip them. I personally use bleach every once in a while. It works miracles for smell and stains and if you want to go an extra step then wash with Dawn after the bleaching.

Donovans Mom said...

Wow, I read this and your other e-bay diaper review. It was exactly the advice I was looking for! And I'm glad to hear that there are other people out there who are as excited about cloth diapers as I am! (And finding a good deal on them.)

AmyHa said...

thank you Mel for your review. I live in Australia and we're having our baby soon, so I'm researching on cloth nappies.
Anyway I think the Babyland nappies are now called Papoose. Have ordered some to try out.

Thanks again and all the best!
Amy

Gary and Sharon said...

I just purchased Babyland diapers based on your reviews. My daughter just found out she is expecting so I went shopping. I just wanted to tell you these are the best worded reviews I have ever seen. I think Consumer Reports could take lessons from you! Thanks for your advise.

j mk said...

I bought all my cloth diapers on DiscountDipes.com because they were so cheap.

I was so scared to invest oodles of money in cloth diapering when I have never done it before so I started with a lot of 10, and I am ADDICTED!

My babylands are different then the ones you pic'd but I find them great!

Definitely recommend!! Love the fit, love the cute looks, and my husband isn't afraid to use em either!

We are slowly fazing out disposable diapers and it is so rewarding!

KDM said...

Thanks for this great review! I am just starting out with cloth diapering with my 2-month old son and I had purchased 6 bumGenius diapers. Now that I'm a little more comfortable, I hit up eBay to see what I could find for cheap, and your review gave me the reassurance that I needed to purchase Rainbow BB and Babyland. Thanks again!

runswithlightsaber said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. My wife and I are about to be first time parents and we have been searching for a more affordable cloth diaper option and came across Babyland diapers. All of your comments give us confidence to give these a try. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! We got some prefold ones which are great, but thought that AIOs would be better when out and about. I was dubious about the cheap price of babyland but think I'll give them a go now :)

Ruthie said...

I've been using the Babyland on my little guy and think they're great. You're right - they did fit him as a newborn. He was a average-big size (3.8kg) and began wearing them at 2 weeks of age. He seems to have lasted well with one insert, but now at 5 months I have to double them up. Compared to other pockets

I have they're much better than PeaPods, comparable to Happy Heinys, but not quite as good as Rumparooz (but those would be hard to beat!) so at roughly $4 per diap, that's pretty awesome value.

Only complaint is that I've had some residue issues, but that's typical when combining microfibre inserts+HE washing machines. It means I've had to tweak my wash routine compared to when I just used bamboo/cotton diaps with the firstborn and I find that I strip just the inserts every few weeks. No rashes since!