Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Holiday Snow Pops

I got this little recipe from MckMama (who got it from Bakerella). We changed up the ingredients a bit, so I’m going to post my version here. Head over to their sites to see the originals! They were a big hit!

Let me start off by saying, my husband is the good cook, not me…aannnd I made these. The recipe calls for cake. I decided (with Aria’s help!) to go with a strawberry cake. Piper’s birthday cake was strawberry and it was SOOO delicious we haven’t had enough strawberry yet! You bake it according to the directions, them SMASH it up!!!! I didn’t bother with a knife or spatula, I just scooped the cooled cake into the bowl and crumbled it with my fingers!

IMG_7369a

I then mixed up a batch of MckMama’s cream cheese frosting. Bakerella says you could just use a can of premade frosting….but the cream cheese was calling my name!!

8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
6 T. butter, softened
1 t. vanilla (we didn’t have vanilla, we used almond extract….FANTASTIC!!)
1T. cream (or milk)
3 cups powdered sugar

IMG_7370a

I then added the frosting mixture to the crumbled cake to make sort of a delicious play-dough! I think I added too much frosting, so they turned out a little wet. I rolled the “dough” into balls on waxed paper(sticky!!! definitely too much frosting!). There was no room in the freezer to chill the cake balls, but the benefit of being this far north is that the entire outside is a freezer in December. I set them on the patio!!

IMG_7371a

Once they were good and firm, we got the chocolate coating ready. I went with 2 bags of Nestle’s Premier White Chocolate Chips (you’ll probably want 3 bags). I had planned on using the microwave to melt each cup for colors. I’m bad at judging times, and I really don’t like making food in the microwave in the first place. After burning a bit of the first cup of chips, I dumped them all into an aluminum mixing bowl and heated them over a pot of water as a makeshift double boiler. My uncle (their house!) didn’t have RED food coloring, so we went with a sort of mint green color.

IMG_7372a

We poked sticks into each cake ball and dipped them and rolled them until the coating was smooth. Then we added sprinkles before the chocolate hardened (act fast!!). We had a lot of trouble keeping the cake balls on the sticks and lost several in the melted chocolate or nearby! Here’s what they looked like done:

IMG_7391a Sadly, most of them never looked this good. The recipe definitely needs perfecting on my part (yaay, more snow pops!!). We also ran out of chocolate before they all were dipped, so most of them were eaten just like this:

IMG_7392a I put them out for our New Years Eve get together. Even if they weren’t pretty, they were fabulous!! I am excited to make them again!

~~~~ UPDATE ~~~~

We made more, you can see the BEAUTIFUL pictures HERE!

8 comments:

The Hopeful Elephant said...

oh.
my.
YUM!!!

tinahead81 said...

i have tried these as well, but also have not perfected them! lol practice makes perfect though! ;o)

Kristina P. said...

These will be making an appearance in my house.

Leanna said...

Ohhh...those sound so good!! I might have to try them!!

The Frugal Angel-Guided Psychic said...

YUM, YUM! This looks so fun too.

Tiffany said...

These are adorable! My four year old daughter and I would have so much fun making these! Thanks for sharing. You have a lovely blog!

Unknown said...

i would love to make these!!!

thank you for the directions!!
hugs!!

Mrs4444 said...

Thanks for learning this and sharing the results. I would love to have the final-final recipe!