Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tackle it Tuesday–Table of Doom

It’s really embarrassing, but this is what greets us when we walk in the door.  A little table in the kitchen where we drop our junk.  Then never return for it, apparently.  A tiny bench for the kids that they can’t even sit on.    I hate having this table by the door.  I hate this being a first impression when people stop by unannounced.  I’ve decided not only to clean up this table, but to eliminate it all together.  No table means nowhere to drop stuff, and probably we’ll find the right home for it all!

IMG01139

I started by getting a new garbage bag and actually going through all the junk mail.  I collected all the stray toys and laundry and put them where they belong.  I filled quite a bit of the bag with plain old junk and old school papers that had just never made their way off the table.  Finally, once the table was cleared, I folded it up and stashed it away.  I had my husband bring up from the basement a small freezer we were talking about using again.  This is the perfect spot.  The freezer itself was in bad shape, lots of mildew and dirt from our dank basement.  I scrubbed the freezer back to life, and to our happiness, it still worked after sitting in over a foot of water last spring (yay!).

IMG_5456a

I set up the freezer, and later shopped to fill it!  While I was shopping I picked up some baskets from the dollar store to slide under the bench.  Each child can put their hats, gloves, etc. in their own basket (and find them again later)!  This is such an improvement over the last picture.  I feel much better about someone stopping by and seeing a neat area instead of that “table of doom” we had before!!

image

Do you have a chore to tackle?  Big or small, 5 Minutes for Mom makes housework bloggable!

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Doesn't it feel so good to get things clean and organized!

Pretty Momma said...

Oh wow, it looks amazing!

We had a similar dumping zone on a shelf in our kitchen and when we removed it, I was so happy. It was just too convenient to lay junk there!

Hooray for freezer space!

Pretty Momma said...

P.S. Thanks for dropping by my blog earlier (mountainrailwayblog.com)!

Territory Mom said...

Great job!

Forgetfulone said...

Wow! What a great job! That little bench is so cute, and now you can see it! Love the idea with the baskets. Clever!

Zelma Lopez said...

Awesome! It looks beautiful now. Love the little bench.

B said...

That is a great tackle! I love that bench for the kids.

Thanks for visiting my blog today.

Jolene said...

Wowzers! What a great job! The little bench is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Wow... excellent... this is what I need to do with my room and office...

Anonymous said...

VERY impressive! All of it! In only one day? I have a spot like that - need to get with it! Thanks for the encouragement! Barbara

Leanna said...

Wow Mel! It looks great!!